All body art businesses must be permitted and inspected by the Defiance County General Health District. Statewide rules for body art were adopted in 1998 and health district uses these rules to permit and inspect body art businesses in the jurisdiction of the Defiance County General Health District. These rules were created to establish minimum standards that are applicable throughout the State of Ohio. One of the main focuses of this program is to prevent and minimize the spread of communicable diseases such as Hepatitis, HIV, and Staph infections and provide a safe and health Defiance County community.
Things to Consider Before Getting Body Art:
- Check with your doctor to make sure it is okay to get body art;
- Make sure the business is currently permitted. Local health districts issue permits to all body art establishments that should be posted at each establishment;
- Ask about their sterilization process or whether they use disposable items at their business;
- Look for overall cleanliness of the establishment;
- Ask if you can watch a procedure and see how they do it;
- Ask if you can see their aftercare instructions; and
- Be cautious if the staff is not open about any of these things.
Body Art in Ohio is regulated under the authority of Chapter 3730. of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and Chapter 3701-9 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC).